Food swapping is all about making some easy switches - from nutrient deficient food to nutrient dense food; from high calorie food to lower calorie substitutes and replacing unhealthy fats with healthier ones. If you are trying to lose weight, it is not necessary to banish your favorites completely. Just replace them with smart swaps and satisfy your urge. Simple food swaps are a great way to maintain weight and build healthy lifetime habits over a period of time.
Here are few simple food swaps that cut calories but not taste
- Swap one tablespoon of butter for one tablespoon of parmesan cheese to save 80 calories.
- Consume whole orange fruit instead of one glass orange juice and save 50 calories. Whole fruit gives you fiber and satiety.
- Swap the sour cream for low fat Greek yoghurt. Sour cream adds saturated fat to the dish. Just about any recipe that calls for sour cream can easily be substituted with Greek yoghurt.
- Use baby prunes instead of oil and butter in brownies and dark breads. It reduces more than half the fat and calories and also lends adequate moisture to the dish.
- Swap ground beef for lean ground turkey breast.
When compared with red meat, turkey contains about 10 percent less fat per serving. Ground beef also contains more saturated fat than ground turkey.
- Swap cream-based dips for salsa. Salsa is an excellent dip for chips and crackers. It is a healthy alternative to cheesy spreads giving extra nutrients for fewer calories.
- Make pancakes with oatmeal instead of regular flour. Lecithin in oatmeal is a natural fat burner.
- Swap one cup maple syrup for blueberries or any fresh fruits of your choice for topping your pancakes. You are sure to save 150 calories. Not to mention the nutritional content in berries!
- Opt for a whole grain wrap with a dash of salsa, lightly sautÃ©ed veggies and a sprinkle of skimmed cheese instead of pizza. This is one of the healthy food swaps for a meal favorite!
- Add dates to your smoothies and shakes instead of refined sugar. This easy swap not only helps in cutting calories but also offers daily required dose of iron.
- Shun the regular mayo spread for your sandwiches; fill them with smashed avocado and chickpeas salad. A really tasty swap!
- Use oatmeal instead of bread crumbs for making meatballs.
- Opt for leafy green salads with light or vinegar based dressing instead of iceberg lettuce with creamy dressings. It keeps you energized for the rest of the day.
- If you love tacos for dinner, wrap them with lettuce instead of tortillas. You are not only cutting the calories by half but also increasing the fibre content.
- Swap 2 teaspoons of mayonnaise for 2 teaspoons of mustard and you will save almost 100 calories effortlessly.
- Swap 2 servings of crispy chicken salad for 2 servings of grilled chicken salad and save at least 100 calories.
- Choose brown rice over white rice. Brown rice is high in nutritional value and can even reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes.
- Swap potato chips for baked kale chips. Kale is an excellent source of calcium, vitamin A, vitamin C and vitamin K. It is also high in Flavonoids and minerals, and contains cancer preventing agents.
- Swap mashed potatoes with mashed cauliflower. Cauliflower contains only 29 calories per cup as compared to 130 calories in a medium potato.
- Reduce the red meat from your dinner table and replace it with tofu or fish. Fewer calories and more nutrition!
- Crusty baguette with olive oil and vinegar is a better alternative to white bread and butter. Enjoy the benefits of olive oil. Vinegar or acetic acid aids in stabilizing blood sugar levels.
- Instead of sugary cereals, opt for homemade oatmeal topped with fresh seasonal fruits.
- Ditch processed dressings. Instead use olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
- Choose a glass of red wine over other options.
Over time, these food swaps will become a lifestyle choice thereby leading to a healthier eating pattern. Look for innovative healthy swaps for all your favorite foods.Top of the Page: Simple food Swaps to Lose Weight