Traditional recipes can be easily converted into simple and delectable picnic recipes; using fresh, local, and seasonal ingredients. Preparing and packing food for picnics is equally fun and exciting. Picnicking gives the opportunity to bring out hidden gourmet ideas in people. Popular and easy picnic recipes include sandwiches, salad, fresh fruits, finger food and cold meats. Picnic food is served along with cold drinks, champagne or chilled wine.
Picnic recipes must be colorful, fresh and exciting. Planning in advance ensures a delightful outdoor meal that is simple to pack and transport. Packing the food is just as important as planning the menu. Hamburgers, potato salad, hot dogs, and baked beans are well-liked choices among picnic recipes; they are also popular among kids.
Picnic food tips
- Pack food in tightly sealed containers.
- Keep salads, drinks, meat, sandwich, cheese and other perishable items in a chest full of ice. Stow this chest away from direct sunlight.
- Pack heavy food items at the bottom of the chest and delicate food items on top of the ice chest.
- Do not carry full containers of condiments like mustard, mayonnaise, ketchup, etc. Instead carry them as small packets.
- Store cold food in an insulated container like cooler, lunchbox or insulated backpack.
- Store warm food in an insulator; do not store cold food along with warm food in the same insulator.
- Ensure you freeze drinks the previous night; this will keep your drink cool on the day of the picnic.
- Ensure the drinks are sealed well before you pack them.
- While traveling make sure the cooler is transported in the car and not in the trunk.
- Store food on one side of the cooler and store water and juice on the other side, top them with ice filled re-sealable plastic bags. By doing this you can remove the drinks and water without disturbing the food.
- Do not pack food containing mayonnaise; spread the mayonnaise at the picnic spot just before you eat the food.
- Cool dairy products thoroughly before packing them for picnics.
Picnic menu suggestion
- For starters you can serve any dish made from eggs or anything that can be nibbled.
- You can serve traditional dishes like burgers, dogs or steaks for the main course.
- Serve simple side dishes like green salad or fruit salad.
- Steak can be marinated overnight; this will make the meat tender and also improve the flavor.
- You can grill chicken instead of cooking it, use chicken on skewers to speed up grilling. This can be served along with rice.
- Soda, lemonade or fresh brewed ice tea can be served for beverages. Keep these pitchers on ice.
Picnic food recipes
Dry bread crumbs 3/4 cup
Dried thyme leaves 1/2 tsp
Buttermilk 1 1/2 cups
Parmesan cheese 1/4 cup, grated
Salt 2 tsp
Garlic cloves 2, minced
Gin 3 tbsp
Lemon zest grated
- Remove the chicken skin.
- Mix the chicken, garlic, buttermilk and gin in a huge resealable plastic bag.
- Refrigerate overnight or for a minimum of 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Coat a big baking sheet sparingly with vegetable cooking spray.
- Mix the bread crumbs, lemon zest Parmesan cheese, salt, and thyme on a wax paper sheet.
- Coat the chicken pieces in this mixture by gently rolling them over it.
- Keep the chicken on the baking sheet; bone-side facing downwards.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, turn the chicken in between and cook until the chicken becomes crispy.
Salad with macaroni
For the salad
Elbow macaroni 3 cups, cooked
Lean ham cooked and sliced into 1/2-inch cubes
Peas 1/2 cup
Sweet pickles 1/2 cup chopped
Celery 2 ribs chopped
Red bell pepper 1/2 cup chopped
Scallions 2 chopped
For the dressing
Mayonnaise 3/4 cup
Worcestershire sauce 1/2 tsp
Buttermilk 3/4 cup
Dijon mustard 1 tbsp
Black pepper to taste
Cherry tomatoes for garnishing
- Put all the ingredients (dressing) together in a small bowl, blend them well to make the dressing.
- Cover and refrigerate until it is ready for use.
- In a large bowl, toss macaroni along with peas, ham, pickles, celery, red pepper and scallions.
- Stir in the dressing and toss again.
- Garnish with cherry tomatoes
Sandwich for the roads
Cheddar cheese 2/3 cup
White or wheat bread 12 slices
Ham (completely cooked) ½ cup, chopped coarsely
Cream cheese with chives
Sweet or dill pickle (medium size) 1, chopped coarsely
Celery 1 stalk, chopped coarsely
Green or ripe olives 1/3 cup (optional)
Carrot (medium) 1, peeled and chopped coarsely
- Blend the vegetables, pickle, ham, olives and cheese thoroughly in a mixing bowl. Keep it aside.
- On one side of the bread, spread the cream cheese.
- Take about 1/3 of the vegetable mixture and spread it on the cheese side of the bread.
- Cover this slice of bread with another slice.
- Remove the crusts and sliver each of the sandwiches into four pieces.
- Store in an air tight container and refrigerate overnight.
Brownies for picnics
Large eggs 3
All purpose flour 2/3 cup
Instant coffee granules 1 1/2 tbsp
Vanilla extract 1 tbsp
Sugar 1 cup and 2 tbsp
Unsweetened chocolate chopped
Semisweet chocolate chips 1 1/4 cups
Peanut butter chips 1
Salted peanuts 1/2 cup, chopped
Baking powder 1 1/2 tsp
Unsalted butter 1 cup
Salt 1/2 tsp
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Take a 9-inch square metal baking pan, apply butter and dust flour in it.
- In heavy medium saucepan, mix the semisweet chocolate chips, butter and unsweetened chocolate.
- Stir over low heat until the chocolate mixture melts and becomes smooth.
- Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, beat 3 eggs, 1 cup and 2 tablespoons sugar, vanilla extract and instant coffee granules. Beat until they blend well.
- Stir in the warm chocolate mixture; beat thoroughly.
- Cool it to room temperature.
- In medium bowl, beat 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder, 2/3 cup all purpose flour, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Whip into the chocolate mixture.
- Stir in the peanut butter chips and peanuts.
- Pour this batter into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake for about 35 minutes.
- Cool completely.
- Cut into squares. Brownies can be made a day ahead of the picnic.
- Store brownies in an airtight container at room temperature.
Salmon grilled with lemon and herbs - picnic dinner packets
Chicken broth 1 ¾ cups
Salmon fillets 4
Instant rice 2 cups, uncooked
Fresh chives 1/3 cup, chopped
Carrots 1 cup, chopped thin
Lemon pepper seasoning salt 1 tsp
Medium lemon 1, chopped (cut into two lengthwise and then cut it crosswise into ¼ inch pieces)
Salt ½ tsp
- Heat gas grill.
- Use cooking spray to spray four heavy-duty aluminum foil (18x12-inch) sheets.
- Use a medium bowl to mix the rice and broth.
- Allow it to stand for about 5 minutes (let the broth get absorbed completely).
- Add the carrots.
- Keep the salmon fillet in the center of each foil piece.
- Spray the lemon pepper seasoning salt and salt over the salmon fillets and top it with chives.
- Place the lemon slices over the salmon.
- Ladle rice mixture around each fillet.
- Fold the foil over the salmon and rice, the edges of the foil should meet.
- Fold the edges by making a tight 1/2-inch fold and then fold again.
- Leave some space on the sides for it to spread out.
- Cover and grill the packets for about 11 to 14 minutes ( the packets should be 4 to 6 inches below the heat ). The salmon should sliver easily with fork.
- Set packets on plates.
- On the top of each packet cut huge X diagonally; fold back foil.
Easy Picnic Recipes
Wonder tuna fish
Tuna 1 can, drained and flaked
Green onions 1/4 cup, sliced
Celery 1/2 cup chopped
Frozen peas 1 cup, thawed
Soy sauce ½ tsp
Mayonnaise 1/3 cup
Curry powder /8 tsp
Garlic powder 1 pinch
Flaked almonds toasted, 2 tbsp
Chow mein noodles 1 cup
Lemon juice 1 tsp
Mix tuna, celery, peas and onions in a bowl. In another bowl, mix lemon juice, mayonnaise, curry powder, soy sauce and garlic powder. Add to the tuna mixture. Add almonds and top with noodles. Serve on lettuce leaves (optional).
Delicious carrot cake
Carrots 1 cup, peeled and grated
Self raising flour 1 cup
Sunflower oil cup
Large eggs 3, lightly beaten
Caster sugar cup
Icing sugar 1 tbsp
Cream cheese 1 1/4 cups
Olive oil 1 tbsp
In a large bowl mix oil and sugar thoroughly. Add the eggs. Sieve flours. Fold into egg and oil mixture. Add carrots and blend well. Transfer the mixture into the slightly greased baking dish. Bake at 350° degrees for about 35 minutes (until golden and baked well).
In a bowl put the cream cheese and olive oil. Blend until smooth. Stir in the icing sugar and blend well. Spread the icing.
Bacon strips 8, cooked and drained
Salt ¼ teaspoon
Pepper to taste
Butter 1 tbsp
Beat eggs. Season with salt and pepper. In a skillet, cook the eggs in butter. Allow the eggs to set. Once they set, lift the edges and allow the raw part to flow to the base. Once the eggs are fully set, slice into four wedges. Prepare the waffles. Make sandwiches, stuff egg and bacon in between 2 waffles. Wrap every sandwich in a plastic wrap.
Hard boiled eggs 1 dozen, peeled, washed and divided into half
White crab meat 1 container
Mustard 1 tbsp
Mayonnaise 1/2 cup
Red hot sauce 1 tsp
Red onion 1/4 cup, chopped very fine
Remove the yolk from the eggs and put in the blender. Put half of the mayonnaise along with the egg yolks. Stir in the mustard and hot pepper sauce. Beat well until the mixture becomes smooth, the mixture should be mildly thick in consistency. Transfer the mixture into a mixing bowl. Add the remaining mayonnaise and blend well. Fold in the crab meat and onion; ensure the crab and onion are completely covered. Fill the crab mixture in the egg white half. Refrigerate them until they are ready for use. Dust a little paprika before eating.
Cheese bites for picnics
Cheddar cheese 1/2 lb, shredded
Soy flour 3 cups
Butter 16 tbsp
Granulated sugar substitute 1/2 cup
Top of the Page: Picnic Recipes
- Put the cheese and butter into a large mixing bowl.
- Blend thoroughly.
- Stir in the flour and sugar substitute.
- Continue blending the ingredients until spongy dough is formed.
- Shape the dough into a single roll; the roll should not be too thick.
- Cool in the refrigerator until firm.
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- Take out the dough roll and keep it on a flat surface.
- Sliver the roll into thin slices.
- Keep the slices on a non-greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 8 minutes or until crispy.