Large or small rooms, furniture can make a huge difference in how the space appears. In many cases space is at a premium, hence space saving isn't a luxury but a necessity. Do you have an increasing need to deal with limited space? Are you on a mission to ensure no space is wasted? Would you like to create an expansive living area? The answer lies in selecting suitable space saving furniture.
Economical yet classy space saving furniture allows you to make the most of a room and helps in creating a feeling of space. Take a look at how to maximize space, increase functionality of an area by choosing space saving furniture that offers multi-functionality. Get practical - specialize in the art of creating an illusion of more space. With a little work, you can optimize home space with stylish and smart space saving furniture.
Assess your space constraints
Initiate the process of selecting space saving furniture by making an assessment of the space:
- The area and shape of the room
- Wall color
- Function of the room (current and future use)
- Existing set-up (furniture and upholstery)
- Essential furniture (with exceptional values like antiques)
- Total furniture replacement or partial only
- Your style - formal, vintage, shabby chic or French Country.
- Willingness to mix styles in rooms
- Frequency of changing set-up
- Use for detachable/undetachable furniture
- Tailor-made or custom designed furniture
Selecting space saving furniture
- Do not purchase furniture solely on floor plan.
- Take possession of new home, live-in space and buy furniture.
- Give importance to functional aspect and then the aesthetic appeal.
- Avoid purchasing bulky furniture pieces and opt for small pieces
- As much as possible, select neutral colors (light color furniture, walls, floors etc can make a room seem bigger)
- While buying sofas/chairs consider the height of family members so that it is comfortable for all.
- Select chairs and sofas with open arms and exposed legs. Makes room appear big and airy.
- Shop smart for dual-purpose furniture.
- Select furniture with built-in storage, a great way to get more free space.
- Look for furniture that can be minimized or maximized when the need arises.
Arranging space saving furniture
- Place the biggest piece of furniture against the longest wall.
- Try and arrange furniture in a manner that no wall is swallowed up entirely by one piece of furniture.
- Remember to create balance in floor area. Do not overcrowd one part and leave the other completely vacant.
- Place smaller piece of furniture against smaller wall.
- Aim to have some balance space left on either side of the furniture
- Accessories like lamps; table etc should be fitted in the leftover space after placing larger items.
- Give ample room to walk. Keep furniture in the center of the room to the minimum.
Options for space saving furniture
Foldable, expandable, retractable, inflatable, stackable or collapsible - space saving furniture is all of this and more! The primary objective is to adjust furniture size to meet the practical need of space. Functional aspects and utility factor influence the decision-making process. Every space conscious customer has the advantage of choosing from an array of amazing innovations. A smart selection can convert bedroom into home offices or den and then back into a bedroom again as and when one requires.
Top of the Page: Space Saving Furniture
- Loveseats vs. sofa: The flexibility in selecting 2 loveseats in place of a huge sofa is that it can be used together or separately- in the living room, family room, and den or in the bedroom.
- Sofa cum bed: Serves dual purpose both as seating arrangement and also a bed when not in use.
- Stool cum table: Purchase a stool that can double-up as a table when required.
- Coffee table with built-in drawers: This serves as a table as well as a display case for collectibles. An entry table with a cabinet underneath can also serve as extra storage option. Use a chest or an ottoman with storage inside as a coffee table.
- A chest or an ottoman designed with storage facility can make up for a coffee table.
- Ottoman sleeper may work like a footstool as well as a foldout single bed.
- Sturdy fabric for upholstery: Select pleasing colors to cover upholstery.
- Drawers to dining room table: Design dining table with drawers underneath. You can try storage ideas such as these without compromising space.
- Wall cabinets built over bed is a smart way to store linens.
- Bookcase with multi-tiers is a stylish way of storing books.
- Wall mounted lavatory for the bathroom.
- Office desk with old file cabinets can save space as it works double duty
- Dining chairs with special casters will not only enable mobility but can be supplemental chairs for other areas of the house.
- Bunk bed for kids in four different styles - basic, futon, loft and pullout have different features that help in conservation of space.
- Use fitted bathroom furniture to maximize space in bathroom.
- A floor lamp can serve as an étagère, store books or other small things in the limited space.
- A set of nesting tables in any room addresses the functional aspect, durability factor and also style.
- Select space saving bathtubs to maximize open space in bathroom.
- A wicker hamper can double-up as an end table as well as provide storage space for blankets and other house furnishings.
- Pick up coffee table with a drawer to put remotes.
- Select a magazine rack or stack magazines in flat-bottom baskets right underneath a console or coffee table.