There is much controversy over the issue of detoxifying your body. While proponents of the detox diet plan swear by its effects in ridding the body of toxins, disbelievers are of the opinion that our bodies are able to detoxify chemicals without help. There are different ways to detoxify your body.
The underlying idea behind the detox diet is to purge and purify the body of harmful toxins. A detoxification diet can be complemented with hydrotherapy, sauna, macrobiotic diet, colon cleansing, liver flush and exercise. Read on to find out more on this form of diet plan and how it functions.
Your body may be building up toxic waste in the form of food additives, preservatives, oral contraceptives, cigarette smokes, pesticides etc. Often some persons may find themselves suffering from sluggish metabolism, nutritional deficiency or even hormonal imbalance on account of the toxin buildup. With a suitable detox diet, the body is aided in converting the harmful toxins and possible allergens into compounds that can be easily excreted from the body.
Benefits of detox diet
- Detox diet are said to reduce symptoms of toxicity such as headaches, joint pains, fatigue, PMS, constipation and irritability.
- A detox diet increases elimination of toxins from the body and enhances circulation that is vital for clearing out toxins
- Cleanses the colon
- Provides nutrients to the liver
- Sometimes detox diets are recommended to those suffering from arthritis, digestive disorders and chronic fatigue syndrome.
- A detox diet can be customized to target the organs that need detoxification based on the specific problems faced by a person, be it the liver, skin, kidneys, colon or lymph system.
Detox diet guide
Detox diets are not recommended for pregnant women, children, persons suffering from heart problems, lowered immunity, cancer or eating disorders. Persons on detox diets are known to suffer symptoms such as headache or fatigue. But gradually they might notice improved digestion, increased concentration and better skin condition. Proponents of detox diets claim that there are calming effects on the mind too.
Top of the Page: Detox Diet
- Vegetables that are great while detoxifying are broccoli, onions, garlic, beets, artichokes and sprouts. Vegetables that are rich in color are preferred.
- Grains such asquinoaa, millet, buckwheat or amaranth can be consumed instead of rice.
- You can include plenty of legumes such as green peas, kidney beans, chickpeas and lentils.
- Nuts such as almonds, cashews, walnuts, flaxseed and pumpkin seeds make for ideal snacks, as long as you don't go overboard.
- Incorporate soups and salads into your daily diet.
- Raw foods and fresh juices are known to have substantial cleansing and rejuvenating effect on the entire system. Vitamins A, C and E along with selenium are powerful antioxidants - that work to rid the body of free radicals.
- Steamed or poached fish can be included in your detox diet.
- Grapefruit contains naringin that can affect production of liver detoxification enzymes. Grapefruit is therefore not recommended during a detox diet.
- Herbal tea or green tea along with water, natural fruit and vegetable juices and lemon water are recommended when on a detox diet.