An old expression says 'death begins in the colon'. The colon directly and indirectly affects all the other organs in the body. If the colon gets clogged, the liver cannot function efficiently and the kidney suffers. This leads to many a health hazard. Read up on different ways of colon cleansing. Find out more on colon irrigation or hydrotherapy.
Common causes for toxic colon
- An unhealthy diet is primarily the cause of a poisonous colon. For instance, too much protein can cause over acidity. The colon depletes and is unable to tackle harmful bacteria and toxins.
- Overeating is another cause for toxicity in colon as it leads to overuse of enzymes and can cause the colon to work even harder.
- The human body is regularly abused by the use of various stimulants and sedatives and also by the sugar rich and processed foods.
- Unhealthy colon is also caused by the environment. Thousands of toxins and chemicals are found in the air we breathe, the food and water we intake and through the use of pharmaceutical drugs. Research has proved that the human body is incapable of eliminating all the different toxins and chemicals we inhale and ingest every day.
- The immune system in the body has to work overtime to rid the body of the vile chemicals caused by pollution, secondary smoking and harmful chemicals and pesticides. The weakening of the immune system leads to weakening of the colon as well.
These toxins and chemicals accumulate in the fat cells, tissues, blood and in organs such as the colon. This toxin- filled fecal matter remains stuck in the colon for indefinite length of times causing health hazards. Study shows that there are twenty two poisons from a toxic colon which can age and destroy the human body. Some of the most common poisons in the colon are phenol, cadavarin, agamatine, indol, hydrogen sulfide, cresol, butyric acid, botulin, putrescin, Urrobilin, histidine, ammonia, muscrine, methylmercaptan, indicant, methylgandinine, sufferroglobine, ptomarropine, pentamethyl lendiamine, neurin and sepsin.
Effects of a toxic colon
- Weaken and stress the heart
- Cause liver spots, wrinkles, blemishes and other facial conditions in the skin
- Can irritate the lungs and cause foul breath
- Disturb the brain and its mental function and can even cause senility
- Contribute to pain and stiffness in the joints
- Cause muscle weakness and terrible fatigue
- Rob one of youth; ruin good health.
The colon is the 'sewer system of the body' and requires regular cleaning. A toxic colon which is the root cause of all the digestive ailments can be cleansed and detoxified. Colon cleansing is a method to rid the body of toxins causing major and minor ailments. A body that has accumulated toxins, parasites and other waste materials can experience one or more of the following symptoms. This is an indication that it is time to cleanse and detoxify.
- Frequent experience of fatigue and low energy
- Gas, bloating and flatulence
- Excess weight gain
- Food allergies
- Digestion being impaired
- Irritability and mood swings
- Bad breath and foul smelling stools
- Parasites in stools
- Frequent colds and recurring headaches
- Chronic constipation
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Protruding belly
- Powerful food cravings
- Skin problems like rashes
- Metallic tastes in mouth
- Candida infection
Colon Cleansing Procedure
Colon cleansing is a simple process that can be done using a commercial product or a natural recipe. It involves taking a fiber shake once a day. Gradually the fiber shake is consumed three to five times a day for about two to four weeks. Although there is no drastic diet restriction during the course of colon cleansing, it is important not to overeat and consume processed and junk food during the course.
The first step is to cleanse the colon with specific herbs and clean out the debris, parasites and other accumulated toxic plaques. Prevention of recurrent toxic build up is also aimed. The second step is to eliminate the harmful parasites including intestinal worms and their eggs in the colon and at the same time replenish the good bacteria that protect the flora balance. This is essential to protect the immune system. The final step is restoring normal bowel function and promoting regularity by using herbs, amino acids, vitamins and minerals.
Colon cleansers are of two kinds. One is the chemical colon cleanser made of synthesized ingredients. These are very effective when it comes to dissolving the accumulated waste and feces. But the chemically produced bowel cleanser kills not only the parasites and harmful bacteria present in the colon but also the beneficial bacteria. By killing the entire intestinal flora, the chemically derived cleansers will slow digestion and leave the body less capable of defending itself.
The other alternative is the natural colon cleanser which is oxygenated and contains ingredients that dissolve the compacted feces in the colon. Harmful bacteria do not thrive in well oxygenated environments. Therefore herbal colon cleansers are better suited for maintenance of a clear colon.
Colon irrigation is also known as colonic hydrotherapy or High colonic. This is an alternative medical procedure which was used in Ancient Egypt, China and India. Simply put this is a method used to flush out the toxins and decrease the toxic load in the colon. Colon irrigation technique is usually recommended by alternative medical practitioners for removal of accumulation of fecal matter in the large intestine. The buildup of toxins can subsequently leak into the blood stream. This process is referred to as 'autointoxication'.
Colon irrigation procedure
Colon irrigation procedure is performed by a healthcare physician at a designated facility. Colon irrigation involves introduction of small amounts of purified water into the colon using certain medically approved colon hydrotherapy devices such as sanitary, disposable speculums or gravity fed enema like system. These are fed into the rectum. The fluid is released in small amounts after a short period. The process is repeated multiple times. Colon irrigation process lasts for about forty five minutes. A course of colon irrigation sessions helps to improve colon function and general health.
Colon irrigation is similar to enemas except that there are significant differences in the modalities used. The depth of colon cleansing, the amount of water used is different. All colon irrigation centers use water that is filtered and sterilized by an ultra violet light disinfection system.
Advantages of colon irrigation
Hydrotherapists believe that colon irrigation helps to improve the overall health and wellness of an individual. It can help tremendously with irregularity of bowel movement and constipation. Colon irrigation helps in specific diseases like chronic fatigue, arthritis and sinusitis. Colon irrigation also helps to improve the muscle tone in the colon. This leads to a stronger peristaltic contraction.
Disadvantages of colon irrigation
- Unhealthy sanitary conditions while practicing colon irrigation may lead to amebiasis. This was the case in early 1980 with a colon therapist in Colorado when unsanitary colon irrigation led to fatality.
- Possibility of infection is one of the severe problems of colonic irrigation. Great care should be taken to sterilize the equipment between procedures.
- There is the additional risk of contaminants entering the body during colon irrigation. Even a tiny amount of toxins in the water used to irrigate the colon can be fatal.
- Reports suggest that electrolyte imbalance in children could be caused by colonics using softened water during colon irrigation.
- Colon irrigation should not be used in people with diverticulitis, ulcerative colitis, Crohn's disease and severe internal hemorrhoids or tumors in the colon / rectum.
- Colon irrigation should not be used after bowel surgery.
- In some cases the presence of the tube used in colon irrigation causes discomfort and can lead severe cramping and pain.
- It is advised not to use colon irrigation in people suffering from heart disease, kidney disorders or renal insufficiency.
- People suffering from bowel, rectal or anal pathologies who suffer the danger of bowel perforation should not be subjected to colon irrigation.
But the medical community does not prescribe colon cleansing or colon irrigation. No doctor recommends this alternative method of treatment for cleaning the colon. Instead a doctor would only advice high fiber low fat diet, plenty of fruits and vegetables and lots of water to stay healthy with a happy colon. This is definitely more effective, less expensive and definitely the safest option indeed!