Millions take medicines to be relieved from excess stomach acid. A statistical survey indicates that Americans spent around $942 million last year on over-the-counter antacids and a whopping $ 13.6 billion on prescription acid suppressants to treat acid reflux. But the good news is that natural remedies for acid reflux problems seem to work better than drugs and without any side effects. Natural remedies and alternative treatment for acid reflux range from homemade remedies to changes in diet and lifestyle.
Herbal natural remedies for acid reflux
- Pineapples are effective remedy for acid reflux. Pineapples are rich in enzymes which improve digestion and mitigate inflammation. They also speed up the healing process. Remember to use only fresh pineapples and not the bottled ones which can worsen the condition.
- Herbal tea is a much acclaimed remedy for acid reflux and related heartburn. Herbal tea which contains peppermint, aniseed and lavender with honey can be had in the morning and night to relieve acid reflux.
- Cinnamon is an efficient antiseptic and antacid. Raisin bread can be toasted and buttered and cinnamon spread together with a little cardamom on it. This bread can be chewed gradually and entirely before swallowing.
- Grapefruit is another good herbal remedy for acid reflux. The entire outer skin of the organic grapefruit should be shed and dried by spreading it on an even plate. This dried skin can be stocked up and chewed whenever acid reflux or heartburn occurs.
- Chicory is a bitter herb that contains endive and escarole. One half cup of chicory root should be boiled for about ten minutes and when cool this tea can mitigate acid reflux.
- Apple cider vinegar can be used for controlling acid reflux.
- Aloe Vera juice is used extensively especially in European countries as a natural remedy for acid reflux. This can soothe an irritated and inflamed esophagus.
- Ginger is very effective for digestive problems by relaxing the muscles on the esophagus walls. Powdered or fresh ginger root can be used. Candied or pickled ginger is also very effective.
- Glutamine is another natural remedy which is an amino acid that is anti inflammatory and reduces irritation. It helps to produce new cells and dispose off damaged cells in the gastrointestinal tract.
- Fennel seed is an aromatic but powerful herb which is an effective remedy for acid reflux. Half a teaspoon of fennel seeds can be chewed slowly after meals.
Home remedies for acid reflux
- Milk can effectively and immediately bring relief from heartburn and acid reflux.
- Water can dilute the stomach acid and wash down anything. A big glass or two or water after a meal should definitely help.
- A few almonds can be taken in the morning or after meals and chewed very well.
- Carrot juice cures acidosis. Eating a clove after meals in the morning and evening is beneficial.
- Drinking the milk of raw coconuts can help in acid reflux.
Acid reflux preventive management
There are certain simple but effective steps to prevent symptoms of GERD in the majority of people:
- Obesity is one major risk factor causing acid reflux. Overweight people have to cut back on the amounts of food taken at each meal. In addition, never lie down immediately after eating a meal. Exercising daily should help to shed weight.
- Never drink too much of liquid or water while eating a meal. This dilutes the necessary acid in the stomach. It is recommended to drink a few glasses of water thirty minutes or one hour before or after a meal.
- Never stuff with too much food at one time as this can cause stomach distension and trigger acid reflux.
- It is best to avoid high fat and fried foods and cream sauces.
- Smoking should be avoided as this can cause acid reflux.
- Strenuous exercise increases the tendency to get GERD and never eat just before such an exercise regimen.
- It is advised to avoid 'acid' foods like oranges and tomatoes which can irritate an inflamed esophagus though not cause GERD directly.
Natural remedies can effectively treat acid reflux. In early stages, those suffering from mild heartburn symptoms can avoid medication by using home made remedies effectively. Left untreated, GERD can progress into more serious problems.Top of the Page: Natural Remedies for Acid Reflux