Do you know that heart disease is the number one
cardiovascular disease (CVD) killing 500,000 million women each year? Heart
disease is the leading cause of disability in many women.
According to the American Academy
of Family physicians, heart disease is the leading cause of death among women
over 65 years of age. They also say that women are 4-6 times more likely to die
of heart disease than breast cancer.Cardiovascular disease has more fatal consequences in a woman who has
also developed cancer.
Statistics on Cardiovascular disease (CVD)
- CVD ranks top among the disease categories for
women, especially who are discharged from a hospital
- Heart disease is prevalent among 1 in 5 women in
- According to the US department of Health and Human
Services, 1 in 3 women dies of heart disease.
- The department statistics also indicate that
nearly two-thirds of American women who died of heart attacks had no prior
- According to the American Heart Association
(AHA), every 34 seconds a woman dies from a heart disease
- AHA also says that most women develop heart
attack at a very young age these days.
- AHA indicates that 75% of men survive first
heart attack, while only 62% women survive with the first attack.
- Death rates of black women with CVD are higher
than in white women.
- Another report indicates that 41.3% of all
female deaths in America occur from CVD, particularly coronary heart disease (CHD) and stroke.
- It is also found that 38 % of women compared
with 25 % of men will die within one year after a heart attack.
- At least 8.6 million women die from heart
disease each year.
- According to National Coalition of Heart
Disease, 33 %of angioplasties, stents and bypass surgeries are done for women
- It also says that 28 % of implantable
defibrillators and 36 percent of open-heart surgeries are performed on women
Lack of awareness in women
According to the study conducted by the American
Heart Association, only 13 % of women believe that CVD is the major threat to
their life. Harris Interactive Inc conducted the study among 1,000 women.
Another study by few research institutes
indicates that only 55 %of women are aware that CVD is the leading cause of
death among women. The study also states that only 20% of women identified
heart problem as the major health issue facing women today.
CVD - Men Vs Women
- Heart attacks acts differently in men and women. While most of male plaques surround the
clumps, women's are distributed through the artery walls. This often leads to
the misinterpretation of angiogram being normal in women.
- Women with heart attacks are recognized slowly
due to the lower frequencies of chest pains with characteristic patterns and
ECG changes.This delays the women's emergency attention for heart attacks.
- Beta Blockers like ACE inhibitors and aspirin
that improve survival after a heart attack hardly work with women. This results
in higher rate of complications after heart attack in women.
- 38% of women and 25% of men die within a year
after recognition of first heart attack.
- Young women between the ages of 40-59 are up to
4 times more likely to die from heart bypass surgery than men of the same age.
- There are fewer heart disease procedures for
women and the best course of treatment for CVD among women is yet to be
- Unfortunately, only 24% of women comprise the
participants of all heart-related studies.
Bibliography / Reference:Top of the Page: Women Heart Disease Statistics