Digital photography has revolutionized the world
of photography. What was promised by the film - high resolution and excellent
depth is almost possible in digital photography. With the help of the
advanced digital photography software, you have the power to manipulate
your images and produce pictures of excellent quality. What required a
dark room and a pair of skillful hands honed to perfection with years
of practice can be done with relative ease with the help of computer software
As part of our efforts to keep you well informed, we present a series of articles on digital photography here. Check out the images on these pages for some insights into the photographic techniques. Hover your mouse over the images to see some details. Learn some tips and techniques which go a long way in creating some of the best images you will well be proud of.
Digital photography equipment
Digital photography works in much the same way as traditional photography,
save for the fact that images are captured and stored in the camera's
digital memory. The memory card determines the number of images that can
be stored. This factor is also affected by the image quality and type.
With digital photography, you are saved the bother of rewinding the roll,
removing it and replacing it with a fresh roll to continue your photography
expedition. Here, you need to download the camera's memory to a hard disk,
zip drive or a color printer.
Then you can use the same memory to take a fresh batch of photographs.
alternatively you can use a fresh blank memory card. The LCD viewfinder
is one of the biggest advantages of the digital photography equipment.
You can see the photograph on the LCD screen on the back of the camera
as soon as a snap is taken. Consequently, you can delete the ones that
you don't want and get just the best shots developed.
Digital photography tip
Some simple yet effective digital photography tips to smoothen the
- Go for a digital camera with the highest resolution mode measured in mega-pixels if you aim for eventual printing. If your intention is to publish it in a website a 3 megapixel camera would be more than adequate. You will be surprised that many of the images published in the Net may have been taken with a VGA digital camera. VGA cameras have a resolution of 640 X 480 pixels and many inexpensive camera mobiles sport VGA type resolution.
- For image manipulation, you always start with the best possible resolution. You can crop and resize later with your software.
- Industry standard Adobe PhotoShop might be pricey but will deliver the maximum bang. alternatively use the shareware version of JASC PaintShop Pro for the maximum flexibility compared with the software supplied with the camera.
- Maximize on the features of your digital camera - Explore various modes available to extract the maximum from your photo session. Read the manual and bone up on the features.
- Aim to capture the fleeting moment of glory and you can always manipulate the eventual image on your computer later. But getting the image is more important than any finer points. We have provided some sample shots here to fire your imagination. Remember that this topic is a vast one and we can not do full justice in a few hundred words article.
- As is usual in any photography - aim to frame your subject and look for 'modelling' before you press the shutter. No matter how sophisticated your software is, it can never replace or recreate a lost opportunity.
- Unlike a film camera, you may not need many effects filters or color correction filters for your digital camera. You can create a wide range of effects later with your computer.
- Your digital camera lenses have a special coating on the surface to preserve color purity and tonal gradations. Use care when you clean them. Use a fine bristled brush or chamois leather to wipe the surface.
- Using a polarizing filter for landscapes and outdoor photography
can reduce glare and unwanted reflections. Such pictures will also have
more saturated colors.
- Another important digital photography tip is to take control
of the flash. You should control the amount of light that goes into any
- Invest in an additional memory card for your digital photography
camera. You never know when it can prove to be useful.
- Here is an important digital photography tip for choosing appropriate
digital photography equipment. If you are seeking to take family snaps
and capture precious moments, go in for a camera with automated features
and easy-to-use functions. Since digital cameras consume more power, it
is advisable to carry an additional set of batteries.
Digital stock photography
Digital stock photography refers to the readily available database
of digital photographs that can be availed for a price. The digital stock
photography business involves offering thematic databases of photographs
for a charge. Digital stock photography has transformed the original stock
photography business. Digital stock photography web sites allow you to
download their collection of stock photography.
Some of these are royalty
free. You can invest in a digital stock photography library and used their
images for your brochures, in-house magazines, web sites and presentations.
Digital images are stored in various categories that make the searching
process easier. Whether it is celebrity photos or riveting travel shots
or even picturesque nature photography, you can find them all.
Learn digital photography
Most digital photography lessons would provide guidance on the following
- Introduction to digital photography
- Basic video techniques
- Digital image printing
Learning digital photography is all about understanding the different
parts of the camera and choosing the right camera and lens. The principles
of lighting, color, composition and filters are the next stage in any
digital photography lesson. Digital photography basics help you with simple
yet important lessons that go a long way in improving your technique and
understanding of digital photography.
The first digital photography lesson
would involve learning to grip the camera properly and preventing shakes
and consequently blurred photos. Another important digital photography
tutorial would be on the varying quality of light that can be used to
create stunning effects. Proper placement of the subject and adjusting
resultant shadows is part of digital photography training.
Most digital photography lessons would pay special attention to control of
the aperture setting and speed to play around with the light entering
the camera. Avoiding the red eye syndrome and using exposure compensation
mode when there is strong light coming from behind the subject is discussed
in a digital photography guide.