Across the world it is estimated that over 8-10% of couples have problems related to infertility. A study proved that about one in every six couples in the U.S. is infertile. Usually infertile couples seek the help of health care centers who specialize in infertility services. There are a variety of services available to treat infertility in couples, always remember to choose the service that suits your case perfectly. To choose an infertility service, ask for the success rate of the service performed on patients who suit your profile.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, about 10% of the couples in the US find it difficult to get pregnant or stay in the pregnancy. Infertility does not limit to difficulty in getting pregnant, when a woman is unable to carry forward the pregnancy repeatedly, it is also termed as infertility.
Choosing an infertility service
One-third of fertility problems are related to women, another one-third to men, and another 10% involves both men and women and the other 20% is attributed to unknown reasons. Infertility may have various causes including the man, woman or both. The American Society for Reproductive Medicine suggests that if a couple is unable to achieve pregnancy after 6-12 months of unprotected intercourse depending on the age of the woman or if the woman is suffering from repeated miscarriage, then they should seek the help of an infertility service.
Before you pick an infertility service, speak to your gynecologist/obstetrician/family physician about it. You can also discuss the same with friends and relatives as they may be able to suggest few tried and tested names in this service. While you choose an infertility service, bear the following points in mind:
- Meet up with your local infertility service, they will provide you emotional support and also suggest a reliable infertility service center.
- Speak to a number of infertility services before you pick one for yourself. Evaluate and assess the programs they have and ask for the success rates of these programs. If possible, check the same with couples who have had similar problems like yours.
- Learn and create self-awareness about the various treatments available and choose the one that suits your case the best.
- Ensure that you feel comfortable with the service and locate one that is not too far from your house.
While meeting an infertility service
When you pick an infertility service, equip yourself with answers to these relevant questions:
- Check the infertility services offered by them and check the success rate of each of them.
- How many patients with problems similar to yours have been successful in conceiving ?
- How long have they been serving in this field ?
- How many patients have they treated so far ?
- Are they associated with any recognized medical board for infertility ?
- Check if the doctor treating you is certified by the American board of Obstetrics and Gynecology with a subspecialty in reproductive endocrinology.
- Ask them to explain about the treatment they are going to put you through and understand the process before you accept the treatment.
- Check for the fees, infertility treatments are always expensive. Check with your insurance providers if your specific treatment is included.
Infertility treatments offered by infertility service include:
- Medication or surgical therapy for men to treat infertility issues.
- Surgery of the fallopian tubes in women to restore normal fertility.
- Medications for women to stimulate ovulation.
- Hormonal supplement or surgery to improve the quality of sperms in men.
- Assisted reproductive technology like IVF - ET – In-vitro fertilization embryo transfer.
- Intrauterine Insemination (IUI)
- Zygote Intrafallopian Transfer (ZIFT)
- Gamete Intrafallopian Transfer (GIFT)
- Reversal of surgical sterilization
Bibliography / Reference: