As a teacher you will be playing an important role in changing the lives of scores of children. Every person cannot be a teacher - a teacher should have a passion for education and function as a motivation to the students. Summer teaching jobs can be informal and fun while online teaching jobs allow flexibility of working from home.
Teacher job role
Teachers are instrumental in imparting knowledge and wisdom to the student. They coach the student in the respective subject utilizing effective teaching techniques. The teaching job role changes with various stages of education
- Preschool, kindergarten, and elementary school teachers have a crucial role in the progress of children. Preschool, kindergarten, and elementary school teachers introduce children to mathematics, language, science and social sciences. They use games, books, music, computers, artwork, films and other tools to teach fundamental skills. Preschool teachers use storytelling, rhyming games, and acting games to teach children language and vocabulary.
They develop social skills in children and teach them mathematical concepts. Play and hands-on teaching are the main teaching tools adopted by kindergarten teachers. Recognition of alphabets, phonics, numbers, and knowledge about nature and science is taught at the preschool, kindergarten, and elementary school level.
- Elementary school teachers teach various subjects to children of the same class. In few schools, more than two teachers are employed to coach a group of students. In few other schools, a teacher might teach one special subject like music, art, reading, science, arithmetic, or physical education to various classes.
- Middle school teachers and secondary school teachers guide students and provide them in-depth knowledge of subjects. Middle and secondary school teachers hold a specialization in a particular subject like English, mathematics, French, history, or biology. Few teachers teach career oriented subjects. Vocational education teachers are career and technical or career-technology teachers. They teach and train the students to work in various fields. E.g. auto repair, healthcare, business, communications and, technology.
Apart from studies, teachers are responsible for the overall development of a child. Teachers have to guide them in extra curricular activities, sports, games and various other activities.
Qualification for teacher job
1. 4-year degree in any subject
2. Teacher certification
3. You have to be certified (a valid certificate issued by the concerned authorities) to work as a teacher in the United States.
- The teacher should have immense patience and should listen patiently to students.
- The teacher should possess good interpersonal and communicative skills.
- The teacher should have good analytical skills.
- Should be conversant with latest teaching tools.
- Should assess and understand each student separately and offer help accordingly.
Summer teaching jobs
Long vacations can be boring - engage yourself in a much lighter schedule than your normal one while you earn some money. Summer teaching jobs give you the opportunity to work in a relaxed atmosphere. You can utilize your teaching expertise to coach many students in an informal setup. Summer teaching jobs are usually spread over a period of 4-12 weeks of teaching opportunities. Teachers work 7 days a week but work in an informal atmosphere.
Summer teaching job options
Coaching jobs:You can take up a job of coaching students in areas of their interest or topics that are assigned.
Internship jobs:If you are teaching as well as studying, summer teaching job can help you gain practical experience as well as add years to your experience profile.
Preparing test passages:You can write good test passages without recording or marking them.
Summer teaching job abroad:Take up a teaching job in a foreign country. Teach while you explore. It gives you the opportunity to mix with people from different cultures and will be a unique learning experience.
Internet teaching jobs:This is a popular teaching option whereby you can take care of your family while you work and earn.
You can earn some extra money for yourself with a summer teaching job. You can also add this experience to your resume and gain better work opportunities. But it involves working during your holidays leaving you with lesser time for a relaxed holiday.
Online teaching jobs
Learning or teaching from the comfort of home can always be fun. Online teaching jobs have gained a lot of popularity, with the advent of e-learning classes. As a virtual teacher, you save a lot of energy that you would have normally spent as a regular classroom teacher. While e-learning is extremely popular in the US, falling prices of computers and computer literacy will promote online learning in the rest of the world too. There are numerous websites that advertise opportunities for online teaching.
Online teaching involves understanding the students requirements and working on a timing that is suitable for the student and self. The online teacher must interact well with the student and constantly track the studentsí performance.
Online teaching job opportunities
Technical schools:Serve the stream of students who are not into the usual traditional education.
Colleges:Teach students from universities or colleges that offer distance learning programs.
Training:Training of employees as a few business establishments prefer to train their employees online.
The job market for online teaching is rising owing to the rise in the number of online colleges and students. A study proves that the job market for this profession will follow a continuous upward trend until 2014.
Benefits of online teaching jobs
- You can work from the comfort of your home.
- Flexible working hours
- You can save a lot on physical space as all your students are virtual students.
- Your competency increases and you can serve more number of students.
- You can save on traveling time
- You can save on transportation cost
- More number of students enroll as they can learn comfortably sitting at their home
- Opportunity to work with international students
- Learn latest technologies
High school teaching jobs
Guiding children in the most crucial part of their life is the job of a high school teacher. High school teachers guide children as they transit from their adolescent stage to adulthood. Though high school teachers specialize in a particular subject, they also have the additional responsibility of guiding the child in the right manner. Teachers working in high school teaching jobs have a multi tasking roles to play. They also serve as personal guides to students.
- They act as the moral guide to every child offering support at every juncture. They should listen to the student patiently and understand the studentís requirement.
- They should be able to reach out to the student and make the student comfortable. The student should not hesitate to reach to the teacher anytime he/she wants to.
- High school teachers should continuously monitor the progress of their students and track their performance while maintaining an updated student record.
- Apart from curriculum, the teacher should be versatile enough to fit into the role of a counselor and guide.
- Teachers should be able to guide the children in their projects, assignments, extra curricular activities, etc.
- Teachers might have to take up some administrative roles in the school to fill in a temporary gap or as an additional responsibility.
Physical education teaching jobs
Physical education teachers are employed by schools to train their students in sports, recreational activities and physical fitness. Physical fitness teachers can specialize in any of the below mentioned areas health and physical education teacher, athlete, personal development teacher, physiotherapist, fitness instructor, outdoor adventure guide, sports coach and recreation therapist.
- The teacher is in charge of the overall fitness of a student
- The teacher should guide the student in sports, recreation, physical fitness and in maintaining good health
- Should advice the student on various issues concerning sports and physical fitness
- Should take up the responsibility of safety of the students.