Creativity at its best, you need to develop an instinct that reflects the character or image of an individual under given circumstances. If not films, still there are opportunities galore for a professional makeup artist, right from working in salons, television industry, live theater and fashion photography. A makeup artist's job is highly rewarding with options to even operate as a freelancer. A rapidly growing profession, in today's scenario top makeup artists earn up to hundreds or thousands of dollars a day in recognition of their services.
Makeup artist job
Make up artist job entails working on the skin and hair of people to bring a cosmetic or artistic effect. The challenge lies in transforming an individual's look. Makeup can improve, enhance or alter the appearance of individuals. From weddings to beauty pageants, from music videos to theater, from runway shows to advertisements, professional makeup artists can find plenty of opportunities. Make up is used to
- Accentuate overall appearance
- Effect required skin color, hair, feature changes
- Effect age modification - old/young
- Create special effects
- Transform an individual all together.
A professional makeup artist is truly an artist - who works on your face and transforms it. The flaws are concealed, the strong features are enhanced and the makeup is done to suit the ambience, be it harsh photography lights or an Academy Awards night. A professional makeup artist is trained to analyze face structures, color palettes and skin tone. Hygiene is of utmost importance with use of good quality cosmetics and tools. Some of the skills that go into making a successful makeup artist:
- Love working with people
- Possess excellent interpersonal skills
- Have an optimistic, positive attitude
- Have an inherent passion
- Have enough patience
- Enjoy working under pressure
- Mind to work long, irregular hours
- Have the talent with strong visual sense and creative expertise
Make up artist course
As such, this is a profession that doesn't demand more than a basic high school certification to enroll for a makeup artist course. However, do check with make up artist colleges/training centers about basic entry requirements. Computer-based courses with options to learn on the Internet can be selected only to brush up your skills. Selecting 'learn direct' courses undoubtedly should be your choice with their inherent advantages. Schools with experienced, professional artisans and certified instructors can add immense value to the learning process. You can also select schools that provide specialized training specifically for films, live theatre or television industry.
You can start with a short foundation course that introduces to basic makeup application. Subsequently opt for an intensive full/part-time makeup course with specialization options. Select a course that provides opportunities to express, explore, research and attempt real-time concepts. You can decide to do a single course or a multi-subject program. Training at a realistic make-up studio environment will be an added advantage.
Makeup artist training
- Basic skin care and makeup application
- Hairstyles, hair designs, hair care
- Make up for special occasions/effects
- Corporate styling make up
- Make up and need for hygiene
- Prosthetic make up
- Male/female corrective make up
- Make up for color photography/black and white
- Light and make up adaptations
- Contouring techniques
- Make up for entertainment/beauty industry
- Use of computers in make up
Established, reputed schools guide in preparing a portfolio and provide guidance necessary for a beginner. Your marketability as a professional make up artist increases as you gain experience. Of course, your work will speak for itself as you garner compliments for your jobs.
Successful makeup artist
Irrespective of the nature of work or the projects, a thorough understanding of the expected result plays an important role in determining success. It pays to be a well-informed make up artist. So it is essential that you stay abreast of changes in style, trends and fashion along with current make up techniques and methods.
- Check your preference (freelancer/employee/assistant)
- Prepare an impressive portfolio
- Engage in active networking
- Keep track of make up artist job requirements
- Always have an eye on market changes, expectations
- Get ready to impress at your interview