Graphic arts refer to the creation of design through artistic expression. Traditionally graphic arts implied the ‘applied trade skills of a print technician'. These skills included lithography, seriography, and bindery among others.
In the present times, graphic arts use a variety of mediums to achieve artistic and decorative effects. Graphic artists have to design, promote, display, package and advertise using their creative talents and skills at its best. Learn more about career in graphic arts.
Career in graphic arts
The objective of a graphic artist is to dissemminate information to the public in a variety of interesting and exciting ways so as to enhance the image and saleability of a product. Graphic artists develop design plans for CD ROMs, websites, logos, stationery, print advertisements, films and video presentations, poster, flyers, brochures, handbills and other promotional materials. Apart from graphic designing and creations, responsibility of a graphic artist includes:
- Overseeing layouts during printing of newspapers and magazines
- Designing sets for movies and televison productions
- Designing of furniture
The traditional tools of a graphic artist were pencil, paper and lots of imaginative inputs. With the advent of computer aided technology, today's graphic artists use computer design software to enhance their work.
Graphic artist requirements
Graphic artists are expected to hold a degree or a diploma in graphic art, visual art or commercial art. Hands-on experience is a must. Graphic artists must be independent and self motivated. They should posses the ability to think creatively and imaginatively on diverse subjects. Attention to detail and innate sense of form and color is essential.
- Exposure to communications and media including knowledge of media production, communication and dissemination techniques and methods.
- Ability to handle designing techniques, tools, blueprints, drawings and models.
- Evaluating customer needs and ability to meet quality standards for services rendered.
- Promotional and marketing capabilities to show and sell a product or service. Must be adept at marketing strategies, tactics and sales techniques.
- Comprehensive knowledge of theory and tecniques required to compose, product, and perform works of music, dance, visual arts, drama and sculpture.
Graphic artist and designers may work as members of a large design team in studios or advertising agencies. Sometimes they take up freelance work and consultancy services. Graphic artists and designers work in a number of services including movie, video, televsion and radio. They are also gainfully employed in print, packaging and visual communication fields.
Graphic artists also work for magazines or newpapers, advertising agencies and graphic design firms. Other avenues for graphic artists include companies, non-profit organisations, products, festivals, books and governmental agencies.
Career titles in graphic arts
Career in graphic arts affords many possible work lines and job titles depending upon the nature of work and size of the project / assignment. For instance, an artist may only focus on one area of the project like layout, or design concept or presentation skills. If the project is small then the artist must be versatile enough to do the whole job. There are various positions offered in the field of graphic arts.
- Art director
- Directors - state, motion picture, television, radio
- Graphic designers
- Visual artists
- Children book illustrators
- Commercial and industrial designer
- Fashion designer
- Interior designer
- Set designer
- Painters and illustrators
- Cartoonist, comic book artists
- Camera operator, television, video or motion picture operators
- Desktop publisher
- Composing room supervisor
- Online producer.
Graphic artist job
A career in graphic arts involves creation of designs, concepts and samples, layouts based on knowledge of aesthetic and design concepts. Graphic artists need to present and arrange the illustrative material at its best. This includes determination of size and arrangement of copy and selection of style and size of font types. Preparing layouts for the printers by assembling and marking the final layouts is also the job of a graphic artist.
Graphic artists need to produce stills and animated graphics for on air and taped portions for televsion broadcasts and movies using electronic video equipments. A graphic artist revises and reviews layouts till suggestions and improvements from the clients / company are met. The graphic artist needs to prepare illustrations or rough sketches of materials for discussion with clients.