Fine table linen is characterized by its smooth and classic appearance, complete with exquisite workmanship and luxurious feel. Take a tour of various table linen options. Find out how to choose table linen so as to create the perfect table setting. For everyday use, backyard parties or occasional fine dining, take our tips to selecting the right table linen. You can resort to rental table linen for formal dinners or weddings organized on your lawns.
There is a range of fabrics that you can select table linen from. Ensure that table linen is absorbent and durable. Natural fabrics such as fine Egyptian cotton or linen are recommended for table linen since they are absorbent and durable. Fine linen is smooth and soft to the touch and lustrous.
On the other hand, table linen in synthetic blends is popular since it does not need ironing. Linen is light and crisp and therefore is ideal for table napkins and tablecloths. Irish linen is said to be one of the finest on account of its unusually soft and fine texture. Crisp organdy is another option for table linen. Traditionally formal table linen is chosen in a solid shade, usually white or ivory. It can be embroidered or woven with damask pattern.
But contemporary table linen is available in a multitude of color and design styles. Gingham and stripes lend an informal touch that goes well for everyday use. You can choose table linen to suit the style and décor of your room, furnishings and tableware. Theme prints are also available to suit various styles and occasions.
Choosing table linen
- Ensure that the seams are evenly finished. Table linen must possess a classic lustrous look but at the same time not be shiny.
- Square and rectangular tablecloths can be used on nearly all types of tables, even round or oval ones. A formal table setting necessitates longer drop lengths of tablecloth. A table runner that goes across the length of the table adds a formal accent.
- Bright colored table linen fits well in sunny locales while pastel table linen is ideal for a garden party. Bolder shades bring warmth in cold winter months.
- While traditional ivory or off-white table linen lends a gracious old-world charm, vibrant prints and colors add drama to your entire table setting.
- Monogramming is done to personalize your table linen. You can get it done for wedding or anniversary gifts to couples. Typically this is done on diagonal corners.
- Use a table liner to protect your tabletop against heat and scratches.
- Select table linen that whispers not shouts. The guests must not be distracted by the colors and prints.
Care of table linen
- Wash fine linen at home in cool water.
- Treat stains as soon as possible.
- Ironing is essential for cotton and linen fabrics.
- Dry cleaning is recommended for silk and taffeta table linen as well as linen with fine lace.
Table linen rental
For large parties or elegant dinners, you can hire table linen to cater to your needs. There are rental table linen companies that can add the special touch to your table setting. You can make use of rental table linen at weddings and corporate events. Be it dinner napkins or cocktail napkins, table runners, tablecloths or place mats, you can pick them in the color and style of your choice.