Appetizers are vital to a party; they complement an assortment of cocktails and beverages. Appetizers also called snacks or hors d` oeuvres are served as a starter before serving the main course. An appetizer, as the word suggests helps improve the appetite and can be in either in the form of food or drink.
Appetizers can be prepared be in various shapes and sizes and can range from soup to finger foods. Appetizers are small bite sized foods that are served as the entrée of the meal. Recent times have seen appetizers taking the centre stage on the menu card in various restaurants. Gourmet appetizers come in various options, cold or hot, fried or grilled, baked or sautéed. Pick up some simple gourmet appetizer recipes.
The general myth is that gourmet food is expensive and difficult to make. The secret to tasty gourmet appetizers lies in fresh ingredients put together in a host of appetizing ways. The easiest part of preparing gourmet appetizers is that they can be prepared well in advance. If you intend to host a big party then you always have the choice of getting the help of either a caterer or a gourmet food store.
Gourmet appetizers can be served at most gatherings, be it a housewarming party or a cocktail party. Earlier appetizers were served as entrees for the main course but with more varieties to choose from and with growing fondness towards appetizers, they have slowly started to find place along side the main course. Keep in mind that any gourmet appetizer can taste the best only when the ingredients used are fresh and the recipes innovative. Pigs-in-a-blanket is a famous gourmet appetizer that is the hot favorite of the host too because it’s so simple to make. It’s just mini hotdogs rolled in pastry dough.
From cheese to crackers, anything served as an appetizer with the right dip (if required) is a hot favorite among most partygoers. A few of the hot favorites that are crowd pullers are crudités, shrimp cocktail, mini quiches, cheese puffs, stuffed mushrooms and savory artichoke.
Gourmet appetizer recipes
Exotic chicken nuggets along with parmesan cheese
- Chicken breast - 1 lb (boneless and skinless, cut into1x1 inch pieces)
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp Milk
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Paprika
- ½ tsp seasoned salt
- Garlic powder
- 3 tbsp margarine or butter
- 3 cups Corn cereal
Crush corn cereal in a cup. Mix cereal, garlic powder, paprika, salt, seasoned salt and cheese in a bowl and keep aside. Line cookie sheet with aluminum foil. Stir margarine and milk together and dip chicken in this mixture. Roll the chicken in the cereal mixture evenly and set it on the cookie sheet and bake for about 10 minutes. Turn the nuggets on to the other side and bake for another eight minutes or till the crust gets brown.
Rum and caramel fruit dip – low fat appetizer for the diet conscious
- Cut pieces of fresh fruit
- ½ cup butter
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- 1tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp rum
In a saucepan, melt butter and caramels, stirring in between till the caramel melts on low flame. Mix in pecans, milk and rum extract; stir briskly as you add butter. Serve warm along with freshly cut fruits.
Gourmet appetizer guide
Just a few years ago, any host would have been skeptical at the thought of serving gourmet food and in particular gourmet appetizers at parties held at home. Listed below are simple tips on serving gourmet appetizers sans too much bother:
- Frozen appetizers have become hot favorites at parties and people have started to appreciate them. This type of gourmet appetizer is a boon for a host who doesn’t have too much time.
- Survey indicates that the sales of frozen gourmet appetizers have increased twofold for the last five years. With more demands for gourmet appetizers during weekend and holiday seasons, companies are getting more innovative in launching new products.
- If you are diet conscious and prefer to eat appetizers low in fat and carb, frozen food companies offer gourmet appetizers for the discerning food lover.
- There are companies that offer all the basic ingredients that go into the making of an appetizer. All you have to do is mix them up and cook so that the gourmet appetizer is ready in a jiffy.