When you think salads, do you think boring and unappetizing! Well, its time that your salads took a makeover. Make interesting, healthy and appealing salads at home. Learn some easy salad recipes. Whip up easy salads for an impromptu get-together. Learn simple salad decorating tips.
Have your salad along with your meal, before your meal or even make a meal of it! Any which way, salads are packed with health and goodness. With some simple and easy-to-make salad recipes, you can serve interesting salads, with a variety of dressings and ingredients.
Salad decorating tips
Add color to your salad to make it eye-catching. Opt for bright greens, vivid reds and yellows and plenty of white too! Serve your salad in an attractive bowl or wooden cutlery. You can even scoop out a big watermelon or fruit to present your salad. Use vegetables, fruits, nuts, meat, beans and dairy judiciously to come up with a delectable nutritious offering.
Bean Salad recipe
- Wash greens thoroughly and chill till needed.
- Fruits like apples, bananas and pears tend to darken on slicing. Use lemon juice to prevent them from blackening.
- Combine various textures - delicate fruits, soft beans, crunchy vegetables, fibrous greens, crumbled tofu, crisp nuts and smooth yogurt.
- Ensure that your salad dressing is not too high on calories, salt or flavor. It must be subtle and add punch to the salad, not overpower it.
- Pack in some protein with your salad. Add hard-boiled eggs, chickpeas or lentils.
- Citrus fruits would provide not just flavor but also plenty of vitamins and antioxidants.
- Chill the salad plates to keep the salad crisp for longer.
- Adding pasta can give your salad an unusual twist.
Olive oil 1/3 cup
Red Wine Vinegar 2 tablespoons
Garlic 2 cloves
Red onion 1/2 cup
Dried Tarragon 1 teaspoon
Ground nutmeg 1/8 teaspoon
Parsley 1/4 cup
Red Onion 1/2 cup.
Pepper 1 teaspoon
Salt to taste.
- Pick a suitable jar with a lid to put certain ingredients and to shake them well.
- Use the jar to prepare the Vinaigrette by combining olive oil, vinegar, and garlic duly crushed or minced.
- Take a bowl or a plastic container.
- Transfer boiled beans and pour on the vinaigrette.
- Chop red onions and stir it into the mixture.
- Add parsley and stir well.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate or simply keep aside for 1 hour so that the vinaigrette blends with the beans.
- Just before serving, place lettuce leaves on plates and surround with tomato slices.
Alternatives:You can substitute tarragon with Chervil, dash fennel seed or dash aniseed. Instead of beans, opt for garbanzo, red kidney beans or black-eyed peas.
Mixed Vegetable Salad
Red onion 1 cup
Cucumber 2 cups
Carrots 1/2 cup
Tomatoes 1/2 cup
Chopped coriander 1 teaspoon
Sugar 2 tablespoon
Vinegar 1/3 cup
Salt to taste.
- Wash the cucumbers, cut into medium-size cubes.
- Cut onions into tiny pieces.
- Grate or cut carrots.
- Chop tomatoes into tiny pieces.
- Mix vinegar, sugar and salt together.
- Heat over medium heat.
- Check if sugar and salt are dissolved.
- Wait till the sauce thickens.
- Remove from the heat and allow it to cool.
- Take a wide bottomed container.
- Transfer onion, tomatoes, cucumber and carrot.
- Just before serving, pour the sauce over the vegetables.
- Sprinkle chopped coriander over it.
Alternatives: Try adding cut beet root or shredded beetroot and green capsicum. Substitute vinegar with lemon juice but skip heating.
Sprouted green gram salad
Sprouted green gram 1 cup
White onion i/2 cup
Cucumber 1/2 cup
Green capsicum 1/2 cup
Tomato 1/2 cup
Coriander leaves 2 tablespoons
Pepper powder 2 teaspoons.
Lime juice few drops.
- Cut onion, cucumber and green capsicum into desired shape of even size.
- Scoop out seeds from tomato and cut into tiny pieces.
- Transfer these into a wide bottomed container.
- Add sprouted green gram.
- Add salt, pepper powder and few drops of lime juice.
- Serve after 15 minutes.
Grated carrot salad
Grated carrot 2 cups
Tomatoes ½ cup
Green chilli 2 nos
Coriander leaves 2 teaspoons
Lemon juice 10 drops
- Take a bowl; put grated carrot, finely cut tomato and chili pieces.
- Add lemon juice and stir well. Keep aside for 15 minutes.
- Just before serving add coriander leaves.
Strawberry, pineapple, spinach salad
Fresh strawberry 15 nos.
Pineapple (cubed) 100 grams.
Fresh spinach 1 bunch
Almonds 10 nos.
Vinegar 1/2 tablespoon
Honey 1/2 tablespoon
Sugar 1/2 teaspoon
- Slice strawberries and almonds. Chop spinach.
- Take a bowl and transfer strawberries, pineapple, spinach and almonds.
- Take a jar with lid. Put vinegar, honey and sugar and shake well.
- Before serving, sprinkle the mixture over salad. Toss and then serve.
Potatoes (medium size) 4 nos.
Fresh yogurt (non-fat) 3/4 cup
Lemon juice 4 tablespoon.
Tomato 1 no.
Red or white onion 1 cup.
Coriander leaves or green celery 3 tablespoon.
Mint leaves 1 tablespoon.
Indian spice powder 1 tablespoon.
- Make Indian spice powder and store in an airtight container.
- Cut onions into small pieces.
- Remove seeds from tomatoes. Cut into small pieces.
- Cut coriander or cilantro.
- Scrub potatoes. Dice and cook in hot water until tender for 5-10 minutes.
- Drain the water from potatoes and keep aside in a colander.
- Add a tablespoon of spice mix in a cup of yogurt.
- Add the lemon juice to this mixture.
- Pour the mixture over the potatoes and let it cool.
- Before serving add onions, tomatoes, coriander or celery.
- Add salt and pepper powder.
- Correct the seasoning if required by adding salt, lemon juice, and Indian spice powder.
- Transfer salad to serving bowl.
- In the center make space and add few spoons of yogurt.
- Sprinkle coriander or cilantro and serve.
Indian spice powder
Cumin seeds 2 tablespoons
Coriander seeds 2 tablespoons
Cardamom seeds 2 tablespoons
Black peppercorns 2 tablespoons
Cinnamon stick (3 inch) 1 stick
Whole cloves 1 teaspoon
Grated nutmeg 1 teaspoon.
Saffron 1/2 teaspoon (optional)
- Take a heavy skillet and heat over medium-high heat
- Put cumin, coriander, cardamom, peppercorns, cinnamon, and cloves
- Toast the spices. Stir occasionally. Let it turn several shades darker.
- Continue till a sweet smoky aroma arises.
- Transfer contents to a separate plate and let it cool completely.
- Make a powder. Use coffee grinder or a spice mill.
- Stir in the nutmeg and saffron.
- Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place.
- Use within 3 months.
White radish salad
White radish (medium size) 4 nos.
Cooking apples 2 nos.
Spring onions 3 nos.
Lemon juice 2 teaspoons.
Soy sauce 1 tablespoon
Tomato sauce 1 tablespoon
Sugar 2 teaspoons.
Vinegar 2 tablespoons
- Peel radishes. Clean and cut into round or straight, long strips.
- Peel apples. Clean and cut into the same length and shape as that of radishes.
- Slice spring onions including the white and green portions.
- Take a wide bowl and put apples and spring onions.
- Add soy sauce, tomato sauce, salad oil, vinegar, sugar and salt.
- Toss it.
- Garnish with few sprigs of mint.
- Refrigerate for 15 minutes and then serve.