Bangkok, known as Krung Thep for short in Thai, is the capital of Thailand, the land of smiles. Bangkok is vibrant and fascinating, one of the most cosmopolitan cities to visit in Southern Asia. Bangkok is Thai's spiritual, cultural, political, commercial and educational hub. This city, called the 'Venice of the East' houses attractive Buddhist temples, classical dance extravaganzas and innumerable shopping centers.
This sleepy Thai village has dominated Thailand's urban hierarchy and cultural life from the late 18th century. Founded in 1782 by the first monarch of the present Chakri dynasty, Bangkok is home to one-tenth of the country's population and exceeds 1500 square kilometers in area. It is located on the banks of the Chao Phraya River, near the Gulf of Thailand.
Bangkok's towering skyscrapers and ornate temples amidst noisy automobiles and tuk-tuks, floating markets, upscale restaurants and culinary scenes, truly make it a diverse city. On the one hand are historical sites such as King Rama V and Golden Mount, and on the other are modern charms like the 41 area golf courses.
By and large the climate in Thailand is tropical with summer, rain and winter. The average temperature is 28 degrees C. Summer highs can go up to 37 degrees C, whereas winter lows can reach 20 degrees C.
Most of the days in the year are sunny. For the tourist, February to April can be too hot and dry. Monsoon starts with May through October. There could be high storms during this season that keeps most tourists at bay.
A visitor to Bangkok enters the fascinating world of the Orient. The delicious taste of Thai food and fruits provide an exotic wonder combined with truly leisure comfort on sandy tropical beaches in the ever sunny Thailand capital.
Bangkok is an intricate matrix of tradition and modernity. There are innumerable beautiful temples that adorn this cosmopolitan city. Bangkok's beautiful temples feature traditional architecture.
There are a number of tourist packages with a variety of budgets and types of vacations to Bangkok. There are also wide ranging holiday packages that offer economical flights to Bangkok. Flights land at Bangkok International Suvarnabhumi Airport or the older Don Muang Airport.
From golden temples to premier beaches this vacation should be completely entertaining and relaxing.
Bangkok vacation packages
A two-week long vacation package filled with fun and frolic with entertainment at twilight is available would ideally suit romantically inclined couples or honeymooners. This luxury tour includes hotel accommodation that can be easily upgraded - mini suites to bungalows to higher class hotels, if they so require.
Another two week long tour to Bangkok and Pattaya priced at US $ 435 for 14 days / 13 nights includes a twin sharing double room in a tourist class hotel. But there are additional terms for accommodation for this package which includes US $ 375 surcharge for singles, US $ 39 for additional stay and 50% discount for children under the age of 12 sharing a room with parents. Typically vacation packages do not include:
- Air tickets to Bangkok.
- Airport taxes
- Costs associated with wiring or transferring payments.
- Guide services.
- Receiving and seeing off at airport.
- Transfers by air-conditioned cars and mini buses.
Bangkok city and temple tours take you to the finest temples - Wat Suthat which is one of the oldest temples with a sweeping elegant roof, while Wat Po with its reclining Buddha and traditional massage school, and Wat Benjabophit or the white marble temple are a must see in Bangkok.
The 61 acre complex of the Grand Palace is undoubtedly one of the wonders of the world with the temple of the Emerald Buddha.
The Ordination hall which is said to be one of the most beautiful in Thailand has a 72 meter high structure and is supported by 68 pillars. The Buddha image cast in bronze is 5.20 meter in width and 8.45 meter in height.
Bangkok tour programs
A city night tour of Bangkok starts at 18:00. This includes Bangkok by night and cruise on Chao Phraya River of Kings in a boat restaurant with live music, passing many of Bangkok charms alongside. This tour can also be extended to Bangkok's hottest tourist night spots, and sizzling nightlife in this country according to tourist choice.
A full day tour takes the tourist to the world's largest Crocodile farm and zoo, gem and jewelry gallery, and a live demonstration of making colored gems, plus sales is added on request.
A Pattaya by night tour takes the visitor to the far famed Nang-Nual restaurant and the night shows thereafter. Thai boxing shows and shopping is also included in this itinerary.
The northern package tour is for 4 days/ 3 nights which include the Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai and Golden temple. The southern island tour takes one to Phuket or Koh Samui.
There is quite a range of optional tours in Bangkok and the tourist can visit the Grand palace and Buddhist temples, floating markets, safari world, dream world, dusit zoo, night shows, hot spots, massage parlors, discos, and much more.
A tour to Nong-Nooch tropical garden lets the tourist enjoy decorated parks with lake surrounded with tropical gardens amidst orchids. And the added delight is to watch the Thai Folklore and participate in the Elephant theme show.
Bangkok day trips and tour packages
- A traveler can find herself immersed in the ancient Siamese history with a river cruise to the famous ruins of Ayuthaya, the kingdom's former capital. You can discover gleaming temples and magnificent palaces.
- Alternatively, a deep sea fishing cruise by speedboat to Coral Island includes sea food lunch with beach massage, parasailing, water skiing, fire arms hooting and other beach activities.
- A travel by long tailed speed boat on the picturesque Chao Phraya River and Klongs of Thonburi enables you to visit the Temple of Dawn as well as the Royal Barges Museum. This easy and relaxing Bangkok Thonburi Klong tour drifts past 'floating kitchens' mobile ships and all kinds of colorful scenery.
- A tour of Bangkok flower market and Chinatown enable you to visit Orchid Market the biggest flower market in the city. The main thoroughfare through Chinatown is Yaowarat road which is approximately 15 km in length. On each side of the road there are network of streets and alleys and shops selling all sorts of things. The market which is known as 'Pak Klong Talard' houses a whole range of flowers, fruits and vegetables.
- Alternatively Bangkok by rickshaw and hiking enables you to be drawn away from the city to visit local temples and slum community, and enter by a long tail boat ride to a dense jungle of banana, mango, papaya and coconut trees. A Thai rickshaw or 'samlor' is an eye opening jaunt through one of the greenest parts of Bangkok.
Whether it is for business or sheer pleasure or a honeymoon visit or a holiday with family and friends this 'city of angels' does not disappoint. Explore Bangkok with zest and verve; walk, hike, bike, cruise or fly, but make the most of every minute in this magical metropolis.