Avocado oil is edible oil pressed from the avocado fruit. Though it is referred to as a vegetable oil, it is actually derived from the pulp of the fruit rather than the stone. Avocado oil offers tremendous nutritional advantages and therefore it is extensively used for cooking purposes. Apart from cooking, it is valued for the beneficial effects it has on the skin and hair.
Avocado oil nourishes and hydrates the skin thoroughly and helps in treating the damaged skin. It is very rich in Vitamin E, A, D as well as lecithin, potassium and chlorophyll. It possesses all the essential fatty acids; hence it regenerates and moisturizes the skin leaving you with a younger looking skin.
Cold pressed unrefined avocado oil
Avocado oil is available both in refined and unrefined form in the market. Avocado oil in its crude and unrefined form has a green color, as it still contains natural chlorophyll. It is thick and very rich in texture. The smell is similar to the ripe fruit, fresh and somewhat spicy/nutty. The quality of the oil depends upon the method of extraction. It is best to opt for cold pressed oil as no heat is applied in this process and hence does not damage the nutrients of the oil.
No chemicals are added in this process and the oil derived remains in its pure form. But the cold pressed, unrefined oil may not be liked by everybody due to its strong odor and heavy texture. It is also costly to produce and therefore cannot be purchased in large quantities. But, surely benefits of cold pressed, unrefined oil outweigh the cost and texture aspects.
Refined avocado oils are heat extracted with chemicals and then they are bleached and deodorized before converting into a finished product. The refined avocado oil has golden yellow color, with only a mild aroma to it and is generally used by cosmetic industries in beauty care products. Refined avocado oils are highly processed and cheaper when compared to pressed, unrefined form.
Avocado oil for skin care
- Avocado oil contains proteins, lecithin, beta-carotene and all the essential unsaturated fatty acids making it an excellent skin moisturizer. It is also high in unsaponifiables which helps in nourishing the scaly and dry skin.
- Avocado oil is a good therapeutic oil, very effective in treating skin disorders like eczema or psoriasis
- Avocado oil helps the skin increase the level of collagen. The collagen is a protein that provides structure and elasticity to the skin, thus making the skin firm and wrinkle free.
- The sterolins in this oil reduce the appearance of age spots.
- Avocado oil penetrates deep into the skin more easily than other oils making it ideal for massage.
- Avocado oil is suitable for all skin types, hence can be mixed with any lotion or facial mask.
- This oil contains Vitamin E which helps in reducing the harmful effects of solar radiation and UV induced damage and provides a soothing relief to the sun damaged skin.
Avocado oil hair benefits
With its high Vitamin E content, avocado oil is beneficial for healthy hair and preventing hair loss. The plant steroids contained in avocado oil provide a moisturizing effect. A weekly hair massage with avocado oil can do wonders for dry, damaged and frizzy hair.